The ASEAN Orthopaedic Association
ARTICLE I – NAME: The ASEAN Orthopaedic Association.
ARTICLE II – OBJECTS:
- To provide a forum for professional exchange among orthopaedic surgeons within the ASEAN region;
- To promote social contact and foster friendship among its members;
- To uphold good professional practice and promote the advancement of orthopedic surgery
- To upgrade orthopaedic education and training programmes within the region; and
- To complement the efforts of the ASEAN governments in promoting regional cooperation and solidarity, specifically in the areas of medical education and health care, and to exercise whatever functions as may be entrusted to the Association.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP:
- There shall be four (4) types of members:
- Founder Members: Those individuals who were responsible for the formation of the ASEAN Orthopaedic Association and who participated in the organizational meeting in Manila in February 1981; Refer Schedule I.
- Corporate Members: The National Orthopaedic Associations of member nations of ASEAN.
- Individual Members: Those individuals who are admitted for membership provided they are full voting members of their respective National Orthopaedic Associations;
- Honorary Members: Honorary membership may be conferred upon those Individuals or organizations that have made outstanding contributions to orthopaedic surgery in the region.
- Voting rights at all meetings of the Association shall be limited to the corporate members exercised through their official delegates. Each corporate member shall be represented by three (3) official delegates with one vote per delegate. Voting by proxy is allowed.
ARTICLE IV – SUBSCRIPTION FEES:
- Corporate Membership: US$100.00 per annum.
- Individual Membership: US$ 15.00 per annum.
ARTICLE V – OFFICE BEARERS:
- The ASEAN Orthopaedic Association shall be governed by a Council appointed annually consisting of three (3) delegates from each corporate member. The Council will elect among the delegates the following office bearers: –
- Senior Vice- President
- Three (3) Vice-Presidents
- Eight (8) Council Members
In between Council meetings the Association shall be run by an Executive Committee comprising of the President, the Senior Vice-President and the Secretary-General. The Executive Committee shall be responsible to the Council.
- The President shall preside at all meetings. He shall fill any vacancy that may occur in the Council on the advice of the Corporate Member concerned.
The Presidency shall rotate annually among the corporate members in alphabetical order.
- The Senior Vice-President shall act in the absence of the President.
The Senior Vice- President shall come from the Corporate Member next in line for the Presidency.
- The three (3) Vice-Presidents shall come from the other 3 Corpora t e members.
- The Secretary-General shall run the Secretariat of the Association. He shall execute all decisions of the Council, shall give due notice and keep minutes of all meetings, shall conduct all correspondence and prepare an annual report. He shall be responsible for all administrative and financial management of the Association.
All cheques and disbursements shall be -signed by the Secretary-General and one other Council member. The Secretary General shall act after due consultation with the President and the Senior Vice-President. He shall prepare the annual report and financial statement of the Association.
The financial year shall be the period of time between two (2) consecutive Annual Council Meetings.
- The Editor shall be responsible for all publications of the Association.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS:
- Annual Council Meeting:
The ASEAN Orthopaedic Association Council s hall hold an Annual Council Meeting in the country of the incumbent President. The agenda at this meeting shall include:
- Annual Report.
- Financial Statement of the Association.
- Election of office-bearers for the following year.
- Any other matters.
The Council may from time to time call for additional meetings should the need arise.
All decisions in Council Meetings shall be by consensus.
Honorary, Founder and Individual members may be present at the Annual Council Meeting as observers and be granted speaking rights.
- Annual Scientific Meeting:
There shall be an Annual Scientific Meeting of the Association. This hall be held in the Country of the incumbent President.
ARTICLE VII – AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION:
Proposed Amendments to the Constitution shall be submitted to the Secretary- General not less than six (6) weeks and such proposed Amendments s hall be circulated to all Council Members not less than three (3) weeks before the Annual Council Meeting.
Acceptance of such Amendments shall be by consensus.
ARTICLE VIII – I NTERPRETATION:
In the event of any question or matter arising out of any point which is not expressedly provided for in the Constitution, the Council shall have power to use their own discretion.
ARTICLE IX: REGISTERED ADDRESS:
The registered address of the Association shall be at:-
The ASEAN Orthopaedic Association Secretariat
C/o University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Singapore General Hospital
or such other address as may subsequently be decide d upon by the Council and approved by the Registrar of Societies .
ARTICLE X – AUDIT:
Two persons not members of the Council will be elected as Hon Auditor s at each annual Council Meeting and will hold office for one year only and may not be re-elected. They will be required to audit each year’s accounts and present a report upon them to the Annual Council Meeting. They may be required by the President to audit the Association’s accounts for any period within their tenure of office at any date and make a report to the Council.
ARTICLE XI – DISSOLUTIONS:
- The Association shall not be dissolved, except with the consent of all five National Orthopaedic Associations expressed, either in person or by proxy at a Council Meeting convened for the purpose.
- In the event of the Association being dissolved as provided above, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on behalf of the Association shall be fully discharged, and the remaining funds will be decided by the council meeting of members.
- Notice of dissolution shall be given within 7 days of the dissolution to the Registrar of Societies.